Certainly not us.
No way, man.
We’re going to be busybusybusy. Lots of things are happening in our little corner of the blogosphere, and we will be sharing them as they unfold – or as we are able to talk about them.
Meanwhile, some veggin’ out (in a good way) will be taking place next week at a few well-known restaurants. SJ Culinary Events will be having its annual Veggin’ Out special next week, and you will be able to enjoy special vegetarian menus (featuring lots of local produce, I might add) at The Tortilla Press and Blackbird in Collingswood as well as blueplate in Mullica Hill. For $30 per person, you will be able to enjoy a four-course meal. Think you can’t enjoy a full meal like that made just with vegetables? Well, check out the Veggin’ Out menu for The Tortilla Press, available May 18th and 19th:
* Sautéed Jersey spinach, tofu & queso fresco empanadas with lime cilantro chimichurri
* Guacamole & hearts of palm tostada garnished with micro cilantro
* Vegetable ceviche with cucumber, jicama, jersey radishes, red onion & local asparagus
in a lime & chile de arbol marinade
Soup or Salad
* Cream of Jersey asparagus soup
* Gazpacho with Don Julio Reposado tequila drizzle
* Mixed jersey spring lettuces with goat cheese, toasted almonds, dried cranberries, sliced apples in ruby red grapefruit vinaigrette
* Quinoa stuffed chile rellenos
Baked in a tomato cilantro broth & served with cilantro rice & black beans
* Vegetarian meatballs in a tomato~chipotle sauce
Served over red chile fettuccini with queso cotija & grilled jersey asparagus
* Lasaña de berenjena
Layers of thinly sliced eggplant, mushrooms & spinach with chihuahua cheese & queso fresco in a rich guajillo chile tomato sauce
* Dessert Nachos Lydia
Cinnamon dusted tostada with caramel pecans, avocado gelato & strawberry pico de gallo
* Vegan Coconut Flan
* Or your choice of any of our other desserts!
And here’s the menu for Blackbird, available on the 19th and 20th:
* Almond Crusted Brie, strawberry relish, balsamic vinegar syrup
* Udon Noodle Salad, green onions, cilantro, pickled ginger, miso dressing, soy glaze
(with Panko crusted oyster – $2)
* Thai Vegetable Spring Rolls, cucumber, spicy mustard, sweet chli sauce (VEGAN)
* Chilled Melon Soup
* Butter Lettuce, tomato, fresh herbs, balsamic dressing (VEGAN)
(with chilled gulf shrimp – $5)
* Housemade Potato Gnocchi, fresh mozzarella and parmesan cheese, tomato-basil sauce
(with jumbo lump crab – $6)
* Blackbird Romaine Salad, creamy lemon parmesan dressing
(with seared chicken – $4)
* Tuscan White Bean and escarole ragout with tomato and locatelli cheese
(VEGAN without cheese)
(with olive tapenade crostini – $2)
* Sesame Crusted Tofu, vegetable fried rice, ginger sauce
(with seared tuna – $6)
* Wild Mushroom Risotto, mascarpone and parmesan, porcini sauce, truffle essence
(VEGAN without cheese)
* Vegetable Pot Pie
(with chicken – $4)
* Orecchiette pasta, broccoli rabe, slow cooked tomatoes, extra virgin olive oil (VEGAN)
(with cheese and sweet Italian sausage – $4)
* Blueberry Financier
* Orange Anglaise, Vanilla Ice Cream, Almond Brittle
* Carron Ginger Cake
* Cream Cheese Mousse, Rum Raisin Compote, Cinnamon Anglaise
* Chocolate Caramel Creme Brulee
* Cold Lemon Souffle
* Vanilla Shortbread, Lemon Sorbet, Vanilla Syrup
* Chocolate 3-Ways
* White Chocolate Mousse, Milk Chocolate Pot de Creme, Warm Chocolate Cake
I think you could do very well with either one.
That’s all well and good for next week, John, but what exciting food events are happening this weekend? Well, I shall tell you. Now? Now.
Tonight, Passion Vines in Somers Point is having Women of the Vine, with author Deborah Brenner, starting at 6:30PM. If you’d rather have a whole weekend devoted to wine, the Golden Inn Resort Hotel in Avalon is having an Argentinean Wine Escape Weekend which starts tonight.
The fun gets even more fun-er (yes, I said fun-er) on Saturday. The New Jersey State Chili and Salsa Cook Off on Washington Street in Toms River starts at 11AM. On High Street in Mount Holly, you have the Spring Beer Fest – Beer at the “Book House” taking place at the Mount Holly Library and Lyceum. On Saturday and Sunday, enjoy the Bordentown Street Fair on Farnsworth Avenue, or, A Celebration of Asian Cuisine at the Asian Food Markets in Cherry Hill.
And finally, on Sunday, you have the Bluegrass and Barbecue Festival going on at the Tuckerton Seaport from 11AM to 5PM.
Kitchen Kapers in Moorestown is the only cooking class game going on this weekend. On Saturday, you have Cooking for Couples – Cuban Cuisine for Couples from 6PM to 8:30PM. And then it’s Kids in the Kitchen – Some More S’Mores! on Sunday from 1:30PM to 3PM.
Blogging Out Hunger
The Millville Boy Scouts will be having a food and clothing collection for seniors this month.
And in the news this week…
More farms in Burlington County are being preserved.
A manager for the Landis Marketplace has been selected.
And the strawberries are here a little early, so go out and pick yourself (or just buy) some yummy Jersey strawberries.
Enjoy your weekend!