* The Smokin’ Hot Atlantic City BBQ Championship is back this year! The heat of competition will be over at Golden Nugget from October 3 to October 5, with the event being open to the public on Saturday and Sunday from 12PM to 6PM. Admission is $5, and you will get to sample some tasty ‘cue from several vendors while enjoying the all-day live music. There will also be live cooking demos from Fat Jack’s BBQ’ s Glenn Gross.
* The roadside barbecue season may be wrapping up, but not before Uncle Dewey’s on Route 40 in Mitzpah has its annual Pig Roast Buffet on Saturday from 2PM to 6PM. The cost for a day of stuffing yourself silly is $22 a person and $10 for the kids.
* Yes, it is now October, so it stands to reason that Oktoberfest celebrations are taking place all over the South Jersey region. You have two going on this Saturday: Cape May and Avalon. In Cape May, Jackson Street shuts down and becomes a celebration of beer and food. The fun runs from 10AM to 5PM, and admission is free. I would expect to see Cape May Brewing as part of the beer garden. Over in Avalon, the parking lots of The Whitebrier and Princeton become, yes, a celebration of German beer and food…and cornhole! The party starts at 11AM, and the 1st annual Cornhole Tourney starts at 12PM.
* Sea Isle City’s annual Harborfest event is this Saturday at Marina Park. From 11AM to 4PM, enjoy a bounty of seafood from the vendors that will be serving up the goodness. Can’t make it to LBI? There will be a chowder contest at Harborfest (or go to both; I won’t stop you). There will also be a clam eating contest.
* Enjoy a good beer but are not into the whole Oktoberfest thing? Leiderhosen makes you itchy? Then get thee to the Glassboro Craft Beer Festival on Saturday from 1PM to 5PM. Tickets are $30 a person and can be purchased online. Plenty of local and regional brews will be present, including Flying Fish, Cape May Brewing and Glasstown Brewing.